RX or Scaled!
When coaches program WODs, they always start with an “RX” version. Of course, not every person is ready or should jump right into each workout at an RX level. For this reason, all WODs can be “scaled” in a number of ways so that each person can attempt them at their own pace or level. That way, they can still participate and benefit from the workout, while working towards progressing to the RX level.
The gym’s nutrition program can be a lot like its WODs: some members may be ready and interested in getting fully involved in the program at the “RX” level, by tracking their calorie and macro (protein, carbs and fats) intake on My Fitness Pal. While other members may not feel like they are ready for that level of commitment, but still want to participate at the “Scaled” level – learning the basics, beginning to get the benefits of a modified nutrition plan and starting to make progress towards a more complete nutrition program to combine with their physical training.
For these reasons, we are sharing 2 levels of our nutrition program, an “RX” version for those that are ready to participate at that level, and a “Scaled” version, for those that want to start their nutrition journey at a more gradual pace. The RX and the Scaled options are listed below.
- Download the My Fitness Pal app to your phone.
- Create an account (the free version is all you need) and create your personal goals by answering the prompted questions.
- Based on your answers to things like age, height, weight, gender, etc., MFP will give you a daily calorie goal and macro allocation of those calories. We recommend you make a slight modification to the macro allocation MFP suggests. MFP’s standard is 50% carbohydrates (too high), 20% protein (too low) and 30% fat. We recommend a macro allocation of 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fat.
- To update your macro goals select “More” in the bottom right corner of the home screen, select “Goals”, select “Calorie, Carbs, Protein & Fat Goals”, then click on one of the macro % fields and a window with dials to change your macros will appear. Change to 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fat and select the ✅top right to Save.
- Track your food each day to see how your habits compare to the recommended goals and make adjustments as you progress to the types and quantities of food you eat as you progress to get closer to hitting them.
- Consume between 75%-100% of your body weight in grams of protein spread out between three meals and snacks (For example: 150lb person should aim for 112.5 – 150g each day). The lower range is ideal for someone just starting CrossFit or not doing a lot of lifting. The higher range would be for those doing significant lifting and/or on a caloric deficit trying to reduce potential muscle loss.
- Eat a minimum of 6 cups of fruits and vegetables per day
- At meal times eat the fruit and/or vegetables and protein prior to other items on your plate.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of water with each meal and a total of approximately 8-12 glasses per day (higher range with exercise and with higher summer temperatures).
*If you don’t make your desired progress on the “scaled” version, you may be over or even under eating for your individual needs. You can either adjust your activity and/or caloric intake to address it.